Sunday, September 4, 2011

Army Half Marathon 2011

As the title suggest, this entry is not about me, but my darling Cobby's 2011 Army Half Marathon (AHM) Run.


This year, he bought a Nike+ Sportband, so he managed to keep a record of all of his practice runs and the actual marathon itself. Actually, he bought the pair of Nike running shoes at a sale. When he got home, he realised that the model he happened to choose allows the runner to put a sensor inside the shoe. So we went out to get the sportband. Quite cool actually, they would track all the runs, and the pace.


So his camp has been very "on-the-ball" when it comes to this year's AHM. They made it sort of mandatory for the men to go for practice runs around the camp three times a week, each time increasing in distance. I think it was 4km, 8km, 16km, every monday, wednesday and friday. I'm really impressed, as I suck at running.

I blame my secondary school for my phobia of running. Each time I think of running long distance, I'm reminded of my teenage years, running around the track for my 2.4km IPPT. I remember the sweat, the pain in my sides, the breathlessness, trying so hard to suck in air that I want to vomit. All the time I'm thinking...when is it going to end!? And when it's finally over, the PE teacher tells me that I didn't meet the timing and had to do it again next week. Oh... that mixture of pain and frustration and disgust! sob....

Ahem, anyway, back to Coby's run. Below is the route they ran. 21KM! Phew~!


This is the Nike+ record of Cobby's run that day. Quite consistent! Better yet, look at the timing! Less than 3 hours, not bad man!


The online program also lets the runner record down the little details of the day, so here was Cobby's thoughts.


I find it so funny that he would write the comment, "AWESOME" as it seemed very unlike him. When I asked him, he said that there was only a few options to choose from. Ah~ I see... But his note, "VERY TIRED" was definitely his own input. Haha... 2 words says it all right?

Anyway, I was very proud of him and asked him to pose with his medal. But he wasn't very enthusiastic with his medal, as he said that it was a medal of pain and reminded him of how painful the run was. Honestly, I was quite worried, as there was frequently news of healthy men who just drop dead after a run. So I kept reminding him not to push it, relax and take it easy. Thankfully he's fine. The only injury sustained was:
1. One mega blister between his toes
2. skin abrasions between his inner thighs
3. skin abrasion between his arms and the side of his torso
4. pain in his knees for the next few days

Amazingly, he didn't have ANY muscle aches. How is that possible!? If it's me, I would probably have to crawl around for a few days. I guess all the training did helped. Oh, I also made him put hansaplast on his nipples so that there wouldn't be any abrasions. :) You're welcome! Haha... Once again, proud of ya! Maybe next year we could bring Jolie along and go for the fun run.

No comments: