Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A trip to the doctor's

Since after the full month party, Jolie has been really acting up and giving us hell. She screams and cries alot and it was really difficult trying to get her to sleep at night. Strangely, she was obviously exhausted and extremely sleepy, but she just seems to be in agony and cries alot. At 1st we just thought that she's overly tired and cranky, but then after about 2 days, I was on the brink of insanity. As I struggled to sooth her, I thought, is this motherhood? Is this what life would be like every evening? To struggle with a screaming baby?

On the evening of 9 march, Mom and I were trying to sooth a cranky Jolie again. Somehow I felt that this could not be normal. Why is she crying and being so upset? We've bathed her and fed her, what more does she want? We were so puzzled, we even thought there were 'dirty stuff' disturbing her. I wanted to bring her to the doctor, but on the surface, there's nothing wrong with her! She feeds well, she poops and pee well, no fever, would I look like a fool if we bring her to the doctor and find out that she's just being cranky? I called Cobby and asked for his opinion.(he's in class) He had the same theory - she's not sick, maybe going to the doctor is overreacting? But shortly after he hung up, something inside me just clicked. I decided to bring Jolie to the doctor's with Mom.

Even if there's nothing wrong with her, I would feel better hearing it from the doctor himself. So Mom and I packed her bag and took a cab to the Thomson Medical Centre. I don't want to see a GP, so we brought her to her pediatrician. Before we got to see Dr Keoy (mom calls him Dr Garfield), we had to weight her, and I was pleased to see that my dear Jolie baby weight 4.9kg. Almost a bag of rice! Haha...

When we went in to see Dr Keoy, he was calm and cool as usual. He checked her belly button and found out that it was a little pus-sy, so he applied some cream. Then he placed one hand on her belly and started tapping it with his other hand, and her belly went "Pong! Pong! Pong!" He calmly said that there's "a little wind" in her tummy. A LITTLE? Her tummy sounded like a drum! No wonder she was so upset! That must have been really uncomfortable!

So he prescribed some medication for her and I'm happy to say that it works! Hahaha... of course lah, for a small bottle of medicine, a tiny tube of cream and 5mins of consultation, I had to fork out a whopping $79.95! But it was really money well spent. For the next few days, she's still cranky and giving her the medication was hell, but at least now I know that she's cranky not because I suck as a mother, but because she's not feeling well. So though tiring, I felt less demoralised. The moral of the story? If suspect something is not right, do not hesitate to go to the doctor!

Princess feeling much better the next day...

No comments: