Saturday, July 2, 2011

Taipei Trip 2011 - Part 3

This morning we planned to go to MELANGE CAFÉ for breakfast. The popular cafe in Taiwan was well known for it's awesome waffles, beautiful interior, but also long queues. So we wanted to be there right when they open. Unfortunately, the exhaustion has finally started to catch up on me, and I was having some difficulty waking up in the morning. So by the time we headed out, it was almost 10am.

The place wasn't very far, a few MRT stops away. But when we got out, we went the wrong direction and ended up wandering around for 15 minutes before getting our bearings right and finding the place. Our happiness was short lived. The place was already full and there was a crowd hanging outside, waiting to be seated! -_- So we just took some photos while we waited.




Their menu was designed to look like a newspaper. Since we're waiting, might as well decide what we wanted to order 1st. There were SO many types of coffee, tea, drinks and yummy looking dishes! How to decide??



Most of the people wanted table seats, but we didn't mind counter seats, so we managed to get seated before many other earlier than us! Whoo hoo! The place looks so nice and chic!




Cannot tahan liao, let's order! Sis ordered this Iced Coffee Malange with Jelly (NT140)Yumz...



I ordered this Iced Dutch Water Drip Coffee (NT140). It's delicious! The coffee may be iced, but it's still very rich and strong. I think it's the iced coffee cube that made the difference. YUMZ YUMZ!



We also ordered this beautiful Smoked Chicken and Ham Pizza (NT130). It's yummy! It's cheesy, the meat was nice and juicy and there was a thick slice of tomato in the middle. Sis didn't like tomatoes, so I ate hers too. It's sweet, not sour like the ones in Singapore.



The single scoop of egg salad on the side was very yummy too! I think if they sell it by itself I'll order it too! Next, the highlight of the day, waffles! We ordered the Caramel with Ice Cream Waffle (NT130).



It surprised me. First, the texture was crispy on the outside, but dense and fluffy inside, more like a cake than waffle. Not your typical waffle. Next, there was a very slight almond taste, like in almond tea, so it was a little turn-off for me. Was it IN the waffle? Or was it the almond powder they sprinkle on top? I'm not sure.



I wouldn't say it's uber delicious, but it's not bad either. I think I prefer the ones they serve at Geláre. :) It was a great place, great ambience. We loved sitting on the counter, watching the staff prepare the delicious drinks and food for us. How I wish we have an outlet like this in Singapore!

I asked Sis what role would she play in a busy cafe like this, and she said that she would like to be the manager, bossing people around. Me, I would like to be one of the staff preparing the food. Because I like the idea that people are happy and contended after eating my delicious creations! That says alot about our characters huh!

Check out their mission statement, simple and straight forward. I like that.



Oh I wish we didn't have to leave, but we gotta head to our next destination, 五分埔 (Wufenpu Wholesale Market). So exciting! I've never been there before, so I can't wait! But we ended up being too early. The stores only open around 2pm, so we wandered around and ended up eating lunch again...

When we got inside Farmosa Chang, I was thinking, "Oh my god, I just ate a cheesy pizza, waffle and coffee. How can I eat somemore?" But then the food came...



They looked sooo good! This is one of my favourite Taiwanese dishes, 魯肉飯. (Braised pork rice) How to resist???



We also ordered the braised pork trotters, which was ass-kicking good, but we forgot to take a photo. After the meal we were SERIOUSLY full. But it was still early, how? So Sis suggested something super crazy, she wanted to go for a foot massage. I resisted and resisted, I'm very sensitive to pain! I don't even go to spa massages! But she insisted, so we went.

As if my hell wasn't deep enough, they decided to be "generous" and gave us complimentary back and shoulder massages! I wished there was someone to take a video of us two. It must be hilarious. Sis was totally enjoying her massage, complimenting her Masseuse and stuff. Me, I'm squirming about, with a permanent grimace on my face, pleading my Masseuse to be more gentle and wondering when it's going to end.

Then comes the foot massage. >.< They have comfortable arm chairs with your personal TV sets, so it's a good way to distract you from the pain. But seriously, my face was constantly frowning. Only my amazing 忍功 was preventing me from screaming and kicking at my Masseuse. I was SO HAPPY when it ended. Finally we went to 五分埔. This is the one of the very few photos we took there because we were walking non stop in that labyrinth of shops.



They have clothes for everyone! Male, female, children, even older ladies and dogs! There's also accessories, bags, shoes and even dancing costumes. What really irks me was that the shoes were all very small size, and majority(or all) of shops have a NO TRYING policy for clothes, so I didn't buy much.

I got:
  • 3 tops
  • 1 bag
  • 1 pair of heels
  • 1 T-shirt and 1 pants for Jolie


I guess most of the time was spent looking for another shop that sells a pair of heels that I liked, but no size. Also, I was hunting for a nice bag to replace the one at home. We saw one at the beginning of the walk, but we couldn't find another one that was better, so we had to walk backward to the shop.

By the time we left, it was already late afternoon. So we decided to head to Hello Kitty Sweets Restaurant for dinner. Unfortunately, as it was a Saturday night, the place was fully booked when we got there! :( So if you want to go there, make sure you make reservations! Anyway, it's such a shame not to dine there, so we made reservations for lunch tomorrow, after we checked out. Yeah!

On the way back to the hotel, we saw this cute design on the MRT station walls. It features all the famous landmarks in Taipei. The Taiwanese are so good at making cute things!



So with our dinner plan spoilt, we decided to check out all the food outlets at the shopping centre below our hotel. It's pretty cool, like a giant food courts selling snacks, drinks and also restaurants. All the restaurants had long queues outside, so we decided to order our food to go and dine in our awesome hotel room. Tonight's dinner was Tonkatsu, Taiwanese carrot cake and Tau Huay for dessert. So we pigged out while we watched Glee. Shiok!

No comments: