Friday, July 22, 2011

Jolie's 1st Racial Harmony Day 2011

Jolie didn't go to class until Wednesday due to the flu, so on Wednesday the teacher told me that they will be celebrating Racial Harmony Day on Friday. How am I suppose to find a traditional outfit for Jolie and prepare a traditinal snack in 2 days? So I just had to let her wear her Chinese New Year outfit and prepare something simple, like cornflake clusters.

This was the full outfit. Personally, I didn't like it cause it looked a little like pyjamas. Mother-in-law bought it, so out of respect I only let her wear the top with a pair of jeans during CNY.



When we got to the school, the entrance was like a Hollywood red carpet! Parents were praising each other's kids on how cute they were and snapping pictures, children were shouting in excitment. Jolie was actually quite excited when we left the house, but she got quite nervous with all the comotion. She wouldn't go into class, and when I got irritated, she started sobbing! What a party pooper!



The teacher had to carry her into the class...



Parents were asked to come back nearing the end of class for the party. All the kids were dressed up!



Some of the treats the kids had, my cornflake clusters, home made spring rolls and polar sugar rolls. Yumz...



Jolie really liked the home made tofu spring rolls! I liked them too, made by one of the mamas. Unfortunately, my cornflake clusters were a little too hard, so not very popular with the kids. :(



My pink Chinese princess. Wanted to dress up in my CNY clothes too, but I think I would be overdressed among the other mamas.



It's pretty cool, some of the Indian mamas also made their home made traditional treats, like this chickpea salad. All the adults love it, but only some kids knew how to appreciate it. But I think it's great to expose kids (and parents) to other culture's dishes.





OMG the classroom was so noisy! Kids screaming, parents chatting, teacher shouting...







The teacher also brought some henna and started to draw for the kids. But the Indian mama kindly offered to do it and soon, all the kids crowded around the mamas, taking turns to have their hands drawn.



Jolie's first henna! Well, this was actually her second one. The 1st one was destroyed when she accidentally smeared it. Later she would have her 3rd one as this one would be destroyed it as she swiped it onto her legs during the group photo. -_- (I understand it's educational, but seriously!? Henna and hyper 2-3 year olds don't mix)



A poor attempt to take a class photo. 2-3 year olds just wouldn't sit still!!!



Oh well, time to dance!



We stayed way pass her usual class time, so when she started going all quiet, I know it's time for her to go home and rest.



Our 1st class party. Quite fun, but my ears were really tortured by all the noise in that enclosed space! It felt instantly comforting when we left the noisy classroom into the peaceful void decks. Next year, I'll get nicer outfits for Jo and more kid-friendly treats!

No comments: