Sunday, July 3, 2011

Taipei Trip 2011 - Part 4

Last day in wonderful Taipei! Like I said in my last entry, we have made reservation at the Hello Kitty restaurant. So the plan was to check out, have lunch, hang out awhile before heading out to the airport. But Sis suggested that we ditch the Hello Kitty restaurant and go to Danshui(淡水) instead. The Hello Kitty restaurant looks very interesting, but I wouldn't mind seeing another side of Taiwan. Besides, it's very convenient, just take a MRT train straight to the end of the line.

I really like how the scenery changes slowly from the grey city landscape into a lush and green sea side town. Our MRT definitely don't have a view like that!



We had to walk a distant to the 淡水老街 (old street), where there were plenty of tourist stuff like food, drinks, and souvenirs. On the way there, we saw a local restaurant named 大块牛扒(Big piece steak). Well, with a name like that, the food couldn't go wrong! Haha... So we thought we go settle our brunch there. It's pretty cool, the uncle would cook all sorts of steak at the entrance, so you place your order there and go sit inside.

It's awesome! It's like our coffee shop style western food, so it's a real good deal! One price for a steak with vegetables, pasta, soup and even free-flow of drinks! The stall was very vintage, filled with locals eating there before starting their day.



The soup was some sort of mystery vegetable soup, but pretty tasty. Oh and they serve warm mini croissants with the soup that literally melts in your mouth! My god, I wanted to eat the whole basket, but Sis told me to control myself!



Sis ordered lamb chops. Oh I forgot to mention that they add an egg on top of everything else. I think you wouldn't need to eat anymore after you clear the whole plate. -_-



I ordered their beef steak. It wasn't like restaurant standard, but it was pretty tasty. I could eat more, but Sis kept reminding me that there would be more food later at the 老街, so we just ate about half and headed out.



We didn't take much photos as we were busy shopping and walking. We were also a little concerned, as we were running out of cash. Haha, so we had to keep reminding ourselves that we had to control our spending. But it proved quite difficult as there were so many interesting shops! After walking awhile, I almost screamed and dragged Sis across the road because I finally spotted a cafe! I need my daily fix!

Check out the store owner's overweight golden retriever! He didn't even bother to move when I sat down next to him. It was pretty hot outside, so he chose the coolest spot in the store (under the ceiling fan) and just lay on the cool marble floor. Damn dog sure knows how to enjoy life.



When my order came, I frowned at how fancy my cappuccino looked. Then I checked the order form and realised that I ticked the wrong box and ordered a mochaccino. ARGH!!!



GREAT. The last time I had a mochaccino, I was 18 years old. Now my 1st coffee of the day was ruined! Sis asked me to order another, but I didn't wanted to waste more money. So I just drank sulkily. >_<

Anyway, we quickly drank and continued to explore the area. Maybe we shouldn't have eaten the steak, because there was so much snacks and food, but we were quite full and didn't feeling like eating more! But after walking awhile, we turned to the street facing the sea!

The place was very crowded with the Summer vacation folks, but I find that very festive. There were lots of people eating giant ice creams, so I wanted to try too!



Looks good, but its actually very bland, like watered down milk, and very icy. Not creamy or smooth. Threw it away after a few more bites. :P Sis ordered spicy grilled squid. I thought that they would be rubbery, but they were surprising soft, and quite good!



Ai-yu and lemon drink. Super refreshing and shiok on a hot day like this!



There was an uncle selling CDs of himself playing the aboriginal porcelain flute. There were classic Taiwanese songs and also newer songs. He even played the flute on the spot and he was so good! Sis bought his CD, saying that she likes to buy local music from different countries that she goes to.



We walked on a found a store selling local egg based cakes, but in Spongebob Sqaurepants design!



I bought these four designs. We were already going home, so I thought it would a nice breakfast for Jolie!



Cannot tahan, really curious how it tasted, so we decided to sacrifice Patrick the starfish! He was delicious! Very crispy on the outside, spongy and egg-gy on the inside! YUMZ~!



By then we have over-shot our time there and quickly took a MRT back to Taipei city. I think there's more to the place, but we didn't have the time. Their official website was quite boring, so I think this blog best describe the place. :)

So when we got back to the hotel lobby, I changed back into my jeans and we quickly headed to the bus station. On the way I bought two of those yummy rice dumpling from 7-eleven for my flight tonight. :)

When we checked in at the airport, we found out that Sis's flight was postphoned from 8pm plus to 10pm! So we headed to the cafeteria for dinner, and surprise! They have Hung Shifu Beef Noodles there! Cobby had asked me to bring Sis to eat the most wonderful beef noodles ever, but it wasn't in our itinery, so we didn't go. Imagine my surprise when I found out that they were selling it in the airport cafeteria.



Erm, well, it was quite disappointing, because the standard definitely wasn't as good as the one we ate at Maokong. That's the problem with franchise, the staff don't care that they were destroying Master Hung's reputation! Luckily Sis didn't order. :p So after dinner, Sis went into 'work' mode and killed time by going to the duty free stores to spy on their prices. She also found out that they have an executive lounge she can go to clear her work emails while she waited for her plane.

So when it was time for me to say goodbye, I felt a little sad. When will we have this chance again to spent time alone with each other? Not in the near future really.

This time round, I really enjoyed my flight alone. I had a great holiday, I'm going back to my family, this was great! But during the flight, my dinner didn't sit well with the shaky plane, and me watching movie on my netbook. So I threw up all my dinner! Thankfully I still had my rice dumplings, so while everybody slept, I was munching my dumpling and watching my movie. Sounds strange, but it was a great way to end my trip.

No comments: