Saturday, October 23, 2010

Korean Pop Night Concert 2010

Sis managed to get tickets to the Korean Pop Night Concert 2010, and invited me to come along. I'm not a big fan of Korean Pop, but I know they are great performers, so I went along gladly. I asked Mom to come over to help watch Jolie, took the car and drove off myself. The concert was at the Expo, but I was afraid that there wouldn't be parking space, so Sis suggested that I park at Changi Airport and take a train to Expo, which was only one stop away.

The concert starts at 8pm, so since we were early, we just hung around, ate some snacks before going in. Little did we know that there was a huge line just to get into the hall!



Oops, so we just queued with all the thousands of fans. No worries, we just killed time taking pictures with the different phones and cameras that we had.







When we're nearing the gates, there was a sudden rush by the ushers to get everybody in. Apparently the show was about to start and they wanted to quickly move everybody through as fast as possible. Yeah! Love it that they're on time.

The stage...



Our seats...



Finally the show was about to start and almost everybody got light sticks of different shape and sizes, depending on who you are supporting, apparently. We felt a little strange and bare without any light sticks... S thought of using her iPhone app, which has many choices of light. One of which was a neon light stick! Haha... so cute!



We had great seats! It's a little far, but we're on the 1st row of the section, and we had a clear view of the stage!



But before we had the chance to get excited, suddenly everybody in the front section started to stand up! OK, it's a pop concert, I fully understand of you want to stand up and dance and scream. But the people actually STOOD UP ON THEIR CHAIRS!!!





OMG, we were perplexed! What do we do? We certainly don't want to spend the whole night looking at other people's butts. But because they were at the other section with a wide passage way between us and them, we couldn't asked them to seat down! Our shouts were simply drowned out by the hysterical screams of the audience!

So we did the extreme. There were dividers between different sections, but there was a gap, an opening in the divider, so many people actually slipped through and went to stand along the walkway of the section in front of us, aka, the people who were standing on their seats. (see the map below, we were seating where the blue star is, and people (including us) slipped and stood where the red star is)



So begins the vicious cycle. People in front stood up to get a better view, so people behind had to stand on their seats to see better, thus people way behind can't see anything, so they had to resort to sneaking in front, thus blocking the people seated in front, thus people had to stand up, etc, etc, etc.

Haiz... Even standing there can't get you a better view as there were many tall guys. So after one or two songs we went back to our seats, defeated. So what to do? We just sat there, watched the tiny screen with bad resolution, listened to the singing and screaming.

But we were SUPER amused by the undaunted fans seated behind us. The girls were HYSTERICAL. They were MAD! They were CRAZY! After awhile I was actually NERVOUS right before they announce the next band coming out because the people are SO CRAZY! They were screaming at the TOP OF THEIR VOICE like mad! And they were screaming out the lyrics as loud as they could, probably hoping that their precious idol could hear them, which was scary and yet super funny.

We were all giggling while listening to them. One kept repeating, Oh My GOd, Oh My GOd, Oh My God,... The other was screaming so much she had lost her voice, but she kept screaming air out of her throat anyway. The one behind me was screaming SO LOUD, it was like she was screaming directly into my ear and I had to press a finger on my right ear each time she scream. If this was a cartoon, my hair would probably fly forward each time she screams.

Sis even suggested that we leave and go for KTV, but we thought we stayed, since we're here. Halfway through we even had a little snack! Sis thought that I was only using my torchlight. She didn't know that I was filming! Heehee...



OK lah, to be fair, it was still a great concert. Even I, who's not so much of a fan, was so impressed that the Korean Pop groups were such great entertainers! Even in a live concert like this, they were excellent dancers and singers! Some of our favorites were Girls Generation, which was one band that I actually know and saw their MTV. (I've added their MTV to my bar) They were very girly, very sexy and very lovable! This was during one of their songs, sorry my phone's not very good at video.



Other hot favorites include Shinee, Infinite and the hottest group, BigBang, which my Sis is crazy about. I have to admit, they were more like an American R&B group, more cool, especially Taeyang, which is like, cute... :P



I can totally understand the madness for Korean pop after that night. Even though I don't understand a word they were singing, they were really good. The Koreans were greater performers than I had expected, and if the concert organizers had done a better job, it would have been a great night. Even with all the complaining, I actually enjoyed myself! Imagine if I actually got to see the performance!

No comments: