Saturday, January 29, 2011

Jolie's 2nd Birthday Party

Jolie's actual birthday was on the 3rd day of Chinese New Year, so Cobby suggest that we do the party one week before. So on the 29th Feb 2011, we celebrated Jolie's birthday with friends and family. This year we thought of making it smaller scale, so we do away with the buffet, and did a semi pot-luck, where family from both sides, and us, bring something to the party. My Mom did most of the cooking, she made:


  • fried bee hoon
  • french fries
  • assam chicken wings
  • vegetables
  • a very 80's mix fruit cocktail with jelly
  • a bunny shaped jelly

Mom stuck cherries onto it as eyes...



The bunny was so adorable, no one bare the "kill" the bunny! In the end it was Jolie who "killed" it. :P



my MIL bought the roast duck, roast meat and fruits, and I made the cake myself. :)

Even the decorations have been simplified. Last year we went to a party shop and made it a Mickey theme party, with matching goodie bags and helium balloons. This year, we bought everything from a neighborhood party supplies store and simple balloons we blew up ourselves. Oh and we recycled decorations from last year too. :)

Jolie dancing with joy that the decorations were finally up.



Decorations!



Jolie in her birthday outfit... The top seemed too long for the skirt...



Photo with her Ah Mah!



Changed her top. Better!



Going for a ride while waiting for the guests to arrive.



Guests were late! Hungry! Don't care, eat 1st!



Guests are here! Jolie and her cousins!



Jolie was so excited about the balloons that she would tell everyone who arrived, even adults. Then she would give out the balloons to the kids. So cute. Goes to show that you don't need expensive helium balloons to make a child happy.



Balloon fight!



Thanks Papa for the lovely party!



Wanted her to take a photo with Serene and Benny, but she was so shy to be placed between them. Can't even see her face!



She was unwilling to share her toys initially. But later realized that it's more fun to play together with the other kids.



Grandmas and grandchildren...



Tried to "con" guests to try out my failed Kuih Bangkit. Just as I thought. It was a failed product. But everyone agreed that the bunny design was very cute!



Some tried my Pineapple Bunnies and thankfully, they passed. My Dad super loved them. :)



Seeing that most people have already finished their food, and Jolie was starting to feel a little tired, I quickly got the birthday cake ready. I'm very proud to present, the very 1st birthday cake that I've made in my life.



So happy to celebrate the 2nd year of my daughter's life.



Look at all the kids!



When we started singing the birthday song, Jolie got so shy to be the centre of attention!



Cake cutting time!



Only after the cake cutting did I realised that Zinc has arrived. So glad that she made it to the cake cutting!



Around 4pm, the last few guests finally bade farewell and we called the party to a close. But it wasn't over for us yet, as we had to clean up the house, wash Jolie up and finally, as she couldn't take it anymore, fell asleep on her Dad's shoulder around 5pm.

We planned it as a smaller scale party this year but the turn out was still quite big. Initially I was quite upset when some of my friends couldn't make it to the party, but in the end, it turned out to be OK as many other friends came.

I guess the most satisfying part was when many praised how delicious the cake was. I was on cloud nine! At 1st I was worried that it was too small, but the portion was JUST NICE!

As for the rest of the food, it was delicious, but typical of my Mummy, she over cooked. There were many leftovers, but we kept some and they made yummy breakfast and lunch for us the next day. Definitely better than ordering the buffet, but it has been really hectic and tiring for us all. I think before the party, I was whining and complaining to Cobby on how tired I am. So I asked him to remind me to just order from a caterer next year. :P

Looking back, Jolie looked so different from her last birthday. It's so moving to see how much she has grown in a year. I know it has been rough, many times I want to give up and go back to work. But there has been wonderful times too, and I'm blessed to be there in my daughter's life, witnessing every new thing that she has learned, all the ups and downs. I love you baby, and I look forward to another year with you!



P.S. Thank you all for your lovely gifts and ang paos. Most of all, thank you for your sharing my joy at the party!

2 comments:

Balloons said...

This is really great and nice, i like it. Thank you sharing this blog.

Unknown said...

Happy to know about the sober birthday party of Jolie. I am planning a sale cum exhibition of my boutique collection at one of the well known event venue Atlanta soon. Not sure to hire some staff to help with the arrangements. Refreshments and beverages will of limited variety to avoid chaos. Hope all the outfits and designs are appreciated and sold off.