Monday, August 8, 2011

National Day 2011 @ Jolie's Playgroup

Jolie's playgroup was celebrating National Day on the 8th, so over the weekend I made a National Day cake to bring to the party. It's not perfect, but I felt pretty proud of it.



Normally I would have informed the teacher 1st, but somehow, I lost the teacher's contact number when I upgraded my phone's software over the weekend. -_-

On Monday morning, the teacher called and asked us to come to class early as the chairman of the RC (sort of like the landlord of the play house) would be bringing a big cake to the celebration party. The teacher wanted to combine both class so that there would be enough mouths to finish the big cake.

When I heard the news my heart sank like a stone. Someone else would be bringing a big fancy store-bought cake?! I totally lost the confidence to bring my own little crappy looking cake, and I felt so depressed and disappointed. So I mob around the house, tweet about it, and felt more encouraged when I read my friends and family's advise.



I should be proud of my home made, over-flowing with love and pride for my country cake! Besides, what on earth am I suppose to do with it if I don't bring it to the party?

So Cobby, who was on leave today, headed out to Jolie's playgroup with us. When we got there, it was already crowded with parents, grandparents, children and even some siblings. Same thing, the crowd made Jolie a little anxious, but this time I was able to be with her, so she settled in soon enough. We bought this top just yesterday.



Jolie feeling very festive.



Soon the "other" cake was revealed. Damn, it's impressive...



The parents surrounded the cake, fighting to take a photo of it. It was quite scary when so many toddlers surrounded the cake, I was worried that someone would accidentally shove the whole cake onto the floor. But... that would have been advantageous for me! Then everybody would have to eat my cake! Muahahaha..! Ahem, sorry.



So we sang the birthday song and all the kids blew out the candles. I think the cake must have been coated with everybody's saliva. :P



Somehow, I was appointed as one of the cake cutters, so with so many mouths in the room, the giant cake was soon no more. When everyone had at least one slice of the big cake, suddenly someone noticed my little cake at the side. When I told them that I made the cake, they were so astonished. They thought that it was a STORE BOUGHT CAKE and was discussing where was it bought as it looked so nice.

**BEAMS WITH PRIDE**

One of the parents then asked if we can slice it up to try it. I was more than happy to do so!! So I happily served my cake and some even claimed that it tasted better than the big cake! Hohoho!! *floating a few inches off the floor* SO glad that I brought the cake!



So with the cake done, we all gathered in front of the flag and recited our pledge and sang the national anthem. After that, the kids started dancing to national day songs.



Cobby suddenly had some emergency at work, so he had to leave halfway through the party.



Kids dancing with little flags. There was so many children, that I helped out as much as I can, distributing the flags, dancing and singing with the kids, etc. Somehow other parents weren't so "Onz". Besides, I LOVE national day songs.



Later they distributed party poppers. I wasn't sure if the kids can handle the loud popping sound, or if it's safe for them to play with these little explosives. But with proper supervision, we managed to keep it safe and the kids loved it!



Jolie was so funny, she's tried to stuff confetti back into barrel.



Here's the teacher singing "Count on me SINGAPORE! Count on me SINGAPORE..." The kids only know how to shout "...PORE!!!"





Lesson learnt from previous attempt in taking group photo for toddlers. This time round I suggested that they sit down on chairs. Better, but still not perfect. This is pretty good for a bunch of 2-3 year old who had too much sugar.



Not bad leh, the chairman even bought gifts for the kids, which was a metal piggy-bank.



The parents got a Fila bag, which was pretty good, and a torch light with a burglar alarm. As expected, the kids got hold of the stupid burglar alarm and kept switching it on inside the room. Oh my gosh it was SO loud! Why can't people use their brain when they buy gifts? Give a kid a torch light with alarm? They would annoy you non stop! (fyi I have disabled the stupid alarm)



The flag was Jolie's art project for this year's National Day. I must say, after helping out in this party, my throat was all dry as I had to raise my voice over all the kids so that they can hear me. I asked the teacher how does she do it everyday? She replied, "with many many years of practice!" Hats off to you!

Anyway it was a great party, very fun and festive. I love National Days and I love that with each passing year, Jolie learns more on how to join in the fun with us.

No comments: