Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Happy National Day Singapore 2011

Happy National Day Singapore!

A few weekends ago, we just happened to be around Marina Square in the evening when we realized that they were having a full dress rehearsal (or preview? not sure), so Cobby, Jolie and I walked over to the ArtScience Museum and had a SPECTACULAR view of this year's fireworks. It was splendid, even Jolie enjoyed it! She said that it was very "loud", but when I asked her if she liked it, she exclaimed that it was "beautiful". So I suggested that we come back again on the actual day and view it again.

But on the actual day, we chickened out as we feared that it would be too crowded and parking would be a problem. So after breakfast we decided to invite my parents to join us to go to IKEA. I was planning to dress Jolie in all red, like us, but she insisted on choosing her own outfit, which was a white frilly skirt and a lacy pink top. I don't know why I didn't take a picture, but she looked like she was going to a ball! Haha!

So we bought some stuff from IKEA and headed back to Mom's place. While Jolie was taking her afternoon nap, Cobby and I went to Yishun Golden Village cinema and watched the movie, Cowboys and Aliens. Well, the cast was good, you got Daniel Craig, who looked so rugged and cool as a cowboy, you got Harrison Ford and you got the beautiful Olivia Wilde. But somehow, the story line was just too weak, so it was like being given one bite of a cookie when you are starving, not enough.

But it was the first time we went back to Yishun Golden Village for a movie since we were teenagers, so it was really nostalgic. They recently revamped it, so the seats were super comfy and everything was very clean.

After the movie, we went back to my Mom's place to have dinner and watch the National Day Parade. I looooove national day parades, but I must be honest, the show was a super nooze! The camera kept shooting the main actors, so nobody watching at home could see the rest of the poor students dancing on the stage. I know they were trying to focus on the storyline, but I can't help but feel bad for the poor kids who spend so many weekends practicing.

But all was forgotten when the parade ended with the spectacular fireworks and everybody was singing the classic national day song, "We are Singapore, we are Singapore, we're a nation strong and free forever more..." Never fails to get me all choked up with emotions. :)

After that we (yah even us at home) stood up and joined the nation as we recited our pledge and sang our national day anthem. It's a great way to remind us how much our country meant to us and how blessed we are.

With that we ended another National Day. Happy Birthday 46th Singapore!

No comments: