Sunday, August 14, 2011

Jurong Bird Park August 2011

Decided to go to the Jurong Bird Park! Once again, Jolie decided to choose her own outfit and went with this new sun dress I bought for her from Taiwan. Turns out to be the perfect outfit for a hot and sunny day!





Love the whole row of orchids and flowers overhanging the entrance. So matching with her dress!





We expected the weather to be really hot and sunny, so we planned to reach there early, but as usual, when you have a child, it's very difficult to stick to the timetable, so we ended up reaching there close to 10am. So disappointed, I was expecting a Mcdonalds breakfast, but there wasn't any outlets there! Boo! Only some crappy restaurant...







After breakfast, we started out with some adorable penguins. They were just about to feed them breakfast too! Adorable!





We went indoors to see the penguins, but the place was so packed with people. I always felt bad for the poor penguins, the enclosure was SO small, I wonder if they missed Antarctic, or where ever they were from, where they were free to swim in the open sea. Instead of standing around in a small room day after day, like a prison with no windows!


One of my FAVOURITE birds, owls! I always have a thing for owls, I wished that I could grab them and rub my face on their fluffy bodies! Of course, I could imagine that would be quite traumatic for the birds. :) But don't they look so beautiful? The room was so dark, my crappy camera could not take any proper photos! This was the best shot... I think I need to buy a better camera. -_-


We found a seat near the stage so that Jolie could see the birds in action


Giant pelicans


Vultures


Adorable macaws!!! They were very noisy though...


I think the highlight of the show must be this parrot named "Amigo" (friend). Coincidentally, we had the exact same parrot, with the same name when we were kids! How strange is that!?



After the show, we began our tour around the park!


At the show Jolie saw everybody drinking this mango drink, and naturally, she wants one too! Oh well, it's such a hot day. Besides, it turned out to be delicious! We had to fight with Jolie for a sip. :P






I think this canopy thingy is a new attraction at the park. It's like a giant bird cage where all the small birds fly around freely, and there are bridges all around for visitors to feed the colourful birds. On theory, it seemed like a good idea, but in reality, there were just too many people and the draw bridges were just too narrow. Visitors would like to stand on the bridge to feed the birds, but that would mean blocking up the way and others would not be able to pass. duh...




One of the bird was so funny, Cobby was trying to coax it down from the branch, but it was insistent in staying on the branch. So both of them kept reaching for each other, nearer and nearer, until the bird was drinking upside down!



It got so hot and sunny later when we got to the birds of prey section, that we saw one of the eagles taking a bath! It was so adorable seeing this huge bird of prey, fluffing it's feathers in the cool water like a giant chicken. Kind of envious too, as it so hot, I wished that I could take a bath too!


It's kind of sad seeing these magnificent birds of prey, kings of the skies, couped up in cages. I know their cages are very big, but compared to the infinite skies, this was just sad. Maybe the Jurong bird park could invest in a giant aviary for them, I think they need it more than the little birds. :(


It was almost lunchtime, so we skipped most of the other attractions and had lunch before heading home. As Jolie grows bigger, she is more capable of enjoying the attractions that we bring her to. Family outings are getting more fun, I just wonder how much of all these memories would she remember?

No comments: