Monday, September 8, 2008

Baby's very first check up

26 July 2008, Saturday

Whoo Hoo! This morning we went for our very first check-up!

The appointment was at 10am, so we went for a bak chor mee breakfast at Toa Payoh before arriving at Dr Kee’s clinic at 9.50am. Hmm... the number of people waiting to see the doctor was definitely more than I’ve expected. Looking at all the mummies waiting, I think I looked the least pregnant there. Haha…

Like I said, my appointment was at 10am, but by 10.30am I was still waiting for my turn to see the doctor! I wasn’t frustrated, just a little bored. Cobby doesn’t have a problem because he’s got his newspaper – and that’s gonna keep him entertained for hours! So after waiting and waiting, I really cannot tahan anymore! I need to..... Poop.

So I asked the nurse for the directions for the ladies and was met with a disapproving frown. “You want to go to the toilet? But I need your bladder to be full you know!” I just smiled and thought in my head, “Yah but when you gotta poop, you gotta poop woman!” So she gave me the directions and told me strictly that I have to drink lots of water when I get back. When I came back, she really handed me a bottle of water (the mineral water bottle size) and a cup and asked me to finish it! Haha… serious…

At around 11.00am plus, they finally called my name and I got to see Dr Kee. He’s like a jovial grandfather type – grey hair, big squares glasses and a kind smiling face. I feel comfortable with him almost immediately. He patiently gave us a brief introduction and talked about something… Erm… Actually I can’t remember what he talked about because all was forgotten when he said the magic words “OK so now let me examine your baby!

I climbed onto the examination bed, thinking that he’s going to stick his hands into me. But apparently he’s going to do an ultra sound scan! I asked if Cobby can watch too as he was just as oblivious as I was, still sitting next to the doctor’s table. Dr Kee laughed and exclaimed, “Of course! Of course!” and Cobby quickly came to the examination area.

At first, I just saw some blob of stuff on the screen, but the doc was busy giving instructions to the nurse and taking measurements, so I didn’t know what it was. Finally I asked him, “is that the baby?” and he gave a hearty “Yes that’s your baby!” and started showing me different parts. The head, the spine, the little beating heart and the little hands and feet!

As I stared in amazement, tears of joy just started rolling down my eyes. My baby! It’s real! I’m really having a baby! As the realization hits me, I started sobbing and shaking as I watched the monitor. (And the baby shakes with me too) My baby! Alive and growing inside my belly! All my silly fears melted away as I saw with my own eyes the little life that was inside me. It was like nothing in the whole wide world. I didn’t want it to end, but when the good doctor was sure that everything is fine, he printed my baby’s first photo and ended the session.

Baby's Very First Photo


Sigh, I was a mess! I quickly dried my tears and got up. Did you see our baby? I exclaimed as I hugged Cobby. He was very happy too as his face was all smiles~ After the scan, the Doctor continued to brief us on the tests that we need to take soon and cleared any myths or doubts. When we came out I had to do a urine test, so I went to the ladies to pee on a stick.

It was such an emotional consultation that even while I was peeing, I couldn’t stop crying. It’s kindda funny actually.

Pee on the stick: sob…sob… (have to make sure to aim properly)
Flush toilet: sob…sob…
Wash hands: sob…sob… (Luckily there’s no one in the toilet)

When I came out, Cobby saw my red eyes and immediately came over and gave me a big hug. That broke me down completely and I just cried even louder. Did you see our baby?! I exclaimed as we were hugging and he nodded and smiled. I think he was quite emotional too! After awhile we had to separate in order to give way to a guy as we were sort of blocking the narrow walkway.

We must have looked funny. A couple hugging and sobbing on the walkway, with the woman holding a stick stained with pee. Yah I’m still holding the stick – have to show the nurse mah. So after showing the nurse my pee-stick and paying a scary amount of consultation fee, we left the medical centre and ended our very emotional day. I was so drained that I took a nice LONG nap. What a day to remember~

No comments: