Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Mothership : Captain's Log (III)

14 July 2008, Monday

That was a fun weekend. YM came over on the morning brother got married, so sis and I decided to let her into the loop as we needed to discuss which doctors to use. After all, YM is a young mummy and she’s the closest to our family.

Again, it’s great that I can confide in her and get useful advice from someone who has experience in this stuff. She even gave me a maternity short skirt! It’s a little loose though, I’ll wear it when I’m bigger. Meanwhile my pants are getting tighter. Phew~ I tried to find some maternity pants that I can wear for work, but so far the ones I’ve seen are a little too casual! Will keep on hunting, or else would have to turn up to work one day in one of my loose shorts. Haha…

Anyway, after an afternoon of calls and discussions, Sis got some recommendations from friends and colleagues. Apparently, they swear by this Dr Kee at Thomson Medical Centre, who, according to them, is nice and gentle and careful and attentive, etc. etc. etc… The problem is… the good doctor is a MAN.

Yah yah, I know what hundreds of women out there must be saying now. “Oh please he’s a doctor…”, “Come on, he’s a professional…”, “He’s probably seen like thousands of vaginas in his career”. I know that he’s a doctor who has seen probably thousands of vaginas before, but I’m an old fashioned girl who married her first boyfriend and is seeing a gynecologist for the first time in my life! So EXCUSE me if I feel weird opening my legs to be examined by a man other then my husband OK?

But after some persuasion and lots of thinking, I have to admit that for medical services, word of mouth is very important. If so many women are singing praises for this doctor and keep going back to him for their second or third delivery, then I guess he must be doing something right. So not wanting to delay any longer, I submitted an e-appointment this morning. If all goes well, I’ll probably go for my first appointment on the 26 July.

It’s funny how some people react to pregnancy news.

Sis called a friend: “Hi P, look I need some recommendation for doctors because my sister is pregnant”

P: GASP...! Your sister is pregnant?! (2 second pause) Oh wait, she’s married. Ok.

I can almost hear her gossip juices flowing just before she remembered that I was married. Duh… so funny right.

Anyway, I’m sad to say sis went back to Hong Kong yesterday afternoon. We went for lunch and sent her off at the airport. It was a little tearful, but I’m comforted by the thought that I’ll be seeing her again in August, which is only a few weeks away.

Meanwhile I have promised to keep her posted on everything, so I’m planning to bring my camera on my first appointment. Just in case we need it.

Oh lastly, Cobby wanted to tell his Mom and sis about the news tomorrow over dinner, so I’ll do the same for my parents this coming Wednesday! Wonder how would they react…

Change topic! Forgot to bring my jacket again to office, so I had to wear The Back-Up. The back up is a frumpy old ugly sweater that is surprisingly warm and snuggly.

I was looking at the mirror in the toilet just now and I realized that the frumpy sweater actually helped to camouflage my baby bump a little! Hey hey! Ugly but useful! All those celebrities trying to hide their baby bump should get an ugly frumpy sweater!! Haha...

No comments: