Saturday, September 11, 2010

Taiwan Food Festival 2010

Went to the Taiwan Food Festival today, it was held at Clark Quay. We arrived a little early, so it was blazingly hot!



There were also some stalls selling stuff, like pasar malam. But majority of the people were only there for one purpose, and it's the food!



Cobby buying from the stall. All the stall owners were flown in from Taiwan. The food fair was suppose to promote food from 台中, so many food were new to Cobby and I.



We started out with one of our favourites, stinky toufu, 臭豆腐!!!





We loved this 猪肉馅饼, which was this pastry with pork and spring onion stuffing. It's so juicy and peppery! Delicious!!!



After that I decided to go for the longest queue there, which was the oyster omelet. Cobby went to queue for the fish ball, which took about 15mins. We ate the fish ball soup while still queuing for the oyster omlelet. It was very delicious, but eating piping hot soup on a hot afternoon was really torturous! We wanted to get bubble tea, but the queue was even longer than ours!

The food festival uses a coupon system, and we had just a few dollars worth of coupons left. So Cobby went to hunt for some other food while I continue queuing. It was pure torture! I really chose the wrong day to wear high heels. It's been too long since I wore them, so my feet was really hurting. It was so hot that afternoon and so unbelievably crowded! Seriously, do I have a sign that says "COME HITHER!"?? It seems like everybody wanted cut through the line by crossing in front of me. ARGH!!! LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

I wanted to give up, but it would mean wasting our coupons! I was queuing for about 50 MINUTES when suddenly Cobby appeared with a life saver!!!



Ice cold shavings... sweet mangoes... creamy drizzling of condense milk... MANGO ICE, 芒果冰! Oh yeah... every mouthful just melts in our mouth and cool us down to the core. A perfect dish on a hot day... SHIOK AH!!!

After an hour of queuing, we finally saw the stall!



Watching the 师傅 make the oyster omelet, I realise that he was actually making 16 omelet each batch. But people were sweeping up everything after queuing for so long. That's why it took so long!



At 7pm, we finally got our oyster omelet! By then my legs were about to give way, so we just took our food and sat down on the side of the street. I was thinking, after so much pain, if the food sucks, I would have to burn down the stall. But thankfully,
IT WAS DELICIOUS!!!



I'm not a big fan of oyster omelet, but this one was delicious! It's nothing like the Singapore version, where everything is fried into one big mush. The starch and egg was separate, on top of that, they add bean sprouts and lettuce, so it's very well balanced. Best of all, the generous serving of mini oysters were very fresh, plum and sweet! Another specialty of Taiwanese oyster omelet was their sweet sauce. I can't tell what it was, but it brought everything together and made the whole dish so yummy and special!

So OK, to me, it was worth the wait and I didn't have to burn down the stall afterall. But after that we were so tired we really didn't have energy to queue for more food. But we were not full yet! How? OK it sounds a little lame, but we headed to a nearby Macdonald's for a cheeseburger before going home. Haha...

No comments: