Monday, September 27, 2010

CHICKENPOX!!!

"I think I may be coming down with something. I feel a little body ache. Maybe it's because I didn't sleep well." I shot him the most sarcastic look I can master and replied, "YOU didn't sleep well??? I bet your body ache because you slept TOO WELL! The roof would collapse and you would probably still be sleeping!" But Cobby was right. For the next few days, he was suffering from on-off fever, but nothing too serious. In fact, we even went to watch Wall Street on one Saturday. (It wasn't very good btw...)

But when we came back in the evening, Cobby was preparing to take a shower when he complained that he seemed to be having a breakout of pimples on his face. Then he asked me to check his back for him. Seems like there were some pimples or mosquito bites on his back too. I took a look and almost fainted.



The fever, the "pimples", the "mosquito bites", the liquid filled pox... It all makes sense! Cobby has the chicken pox!

Initially it seems quite mild. The pox looked like innocent little pimples, only a few appearing on his face and body. The next morning, Cobby went downstairs to see the doctor. But the young doctor didn't give him anything other than a little lozenges for his mild sore throat and a miserable 7 day medical leave. Only 7 Days! Maybe his pox don't look so bad. But then, the pox grew more and more...








Obviously it was super uncomfortable for poor Cobby. He was still having on and off fever, but the worse thing was the itch! We tried calamine lotion, but it was quite messy and the soothing effect was only temporary. We also tried snake powder, which was less messy, but also temporary. The itch was SO BAD, one night he couldn't sleep the whole night! He even recorded me snoring, but I wasn't snoring, I was just breathing very loudly. :P

I feel so helpless. I don't know how to help him feel better. Many times I actually don't have the strength to do so as I had to play and take care of Jolie, do the chores, cook for everybody, run all the errands myself and care for my Hubby too! Forgive me if I wasn't feeling sympathetic to his whining. -_- Thankfully Cobby's Mom came every other day with some food, herbal tea for Cobby and help watch Jolie while I cook and clean or take a shower.

On Wednesday, pus started to fill up in the pox! I have never heard that chicken pox would have pus, so it was quite scary.



He went to see the doctor again, suay suay, it's the young inexperienced doctor again! He said that this was just a little surface infection due to the build up oil and sweat, so he gave Cobby a tiny tube of antiseptic cream. The nurses were quite funny and ruthless. They looked at Cobby's face and said that they'll give him 2 tubes instead. They also said that Cobby should come back again on Saturday, as there would be a more experienced doctor in, and he could ask for an extension of MC. The doctor's room door was opened then, so obviously they don't give a damn about the poor young doctor's feelings. Haha...

On Saturday, Cobby went back to the clinic and finally got to see a more experienced doctor. He asked why didn't the 1st doctor didn't give Cobby any anti-viral pills to lessen the pox. Also, apparently there was an oral medication that curbs the itch! It's like a sedative that knocks you out so that you can have a good night sleep instead of itching the night away. DAMN THE 1ST DOCTOR!!! Cobby could have been spared the sleepless nights! So he prescribed the meds to Cobby, but it wasn't that itchy anymore... -_-

Thankfully, after applying the cream, the pus has started to disappear and over the next few days, some of the pox had started to shrink and dry up.



Interestingly, the pox on the face started to dry up 1st, and they seem to be moving downwards. But the pox on the lower back and legs are still there and filled with pus, so I guess we still need a few more days. But with the fever long gone, days are much easier now. I'm just relieved that he's on the road to recovery. :)

No comments: