Monday, March 21, 2011

Jolie's 1st day at playgroup

Alot of friends have asked about Jolie's 1st day at school, and I'm proud to say that she handled it much better than I've expected. Days before school started, we would ask her if she wanted to go to school, and she would always answer with an excited "YES!" On the morning of her 1st day of school, I was a wreck! It was as if I was preparing for MY 1st day of school. There was that familiar constant twist in my stomach as I looked at the clock for the hundredth time.

1 hour to go, 45 mins to go, 15mins to go!

I don't know why I was so anxious? nervous? excited? See? I don't even know what the heck the emotion was! I think there was a mixture of fear and also anticipation. Anticipation for that 1 hour plus all to myself! It's funny how the parent seemed more stressed out than the child, who was quietly enjoying her morning cartoon as her mother hung on the verge of an emotional meltdown.

Finally the time has arrived and I quickly change her clothes. Looks like the clothes were too big. :P I thought that I was going to get emotional again, thankfully the nerves in my stomach overpowered any other feelings that threatened to pour out. We have to move out!



It was the 1st class after a week long school holiday break, so most students were excited to return to class. After the jumble to check the mouth, hands and feet of all students, they were allowed into the play area where the teacher's assistant poured out 2 whole baskets of masak-masak (toys). How can any child resist? Jolie's curiosity overcame her shyness as she slowly walked to the giant pile of toys and squat down to play with her head bow low.



After awhile the teacher offered her some puzzles and she sat on the table and started playing.



The girl next to her showed her how to put the puzzle pieces in and I wanted to hug her in gratitude. This is exactly what I wanted for Jolie. Other than the mental stimulation, I wanted her to interact and socialize with other children, instead of just the adults in her life. Besides, a new friend is just what she needed in a strange new environment.

After awhile she got bored with the puzzles and went back to play with her masak. I can sense her shyness melting away as she played, and I smiled in relief.



She was doing so well that I was starting to get a little bored! As I fiddled with my new smartphone, the teacher seemed to share my sentiments and suggested that I take my leave. So I told Jolie that I'm going off for awhile, but I will come back later, OK? The little brat didn't even turn around to look at me when she mumbled "okay...", and carried on playing with her toys.

As I stepped out of the school into the bright sunlight, there was a jumble of emotions inside me. That's it? All that anxiousness and nervousness and she didn't even attempted to make me stay? I was feeling so proud of my independent little girl, yet sad and hurt that she didn't need me by her side. Also... FREEDOM!!! Short, but hey, I'll take it.

Then... lost.

What am I supposed to do now? Lunch is done, so there's no reason to go home, so I cycled to MacDonald's and hung out in the air-conditioned restaurant, ate fries with a cool drink and played with my phone until it was time to go pick up Jolie.

When I reached there, class was still on going, so I peeked through the window and saw my girl having a snack.



I wanted to continue to peep through the window, but it felt kind of weird and the teacher thought that I was some psycho until they found out that it was me. So I smiled in embarrassment and hung out on the void deck instead until the class was dismissed.

When the door opened, Jolie was the 1st one at the door and she ran into my arms, screaming, "MAMA!!!" Then we were hugging and kissing each other like we've been separated for years as the other Moms and grandmas led their child home. DRAMA sia... I don't care what they think, I just felt SO happy to be with my girl again and SO glad that she felt the same way too.

No comments: