Friday, May 13, 2011

Dad's Knee Operation

Finally, it was Dad's turn to do his knee replacement surgery. Mom did hers a few years back and now, Dad's knees were in such bad shape it was time for him to do it too.

For Dad, I wasn't as involved in the whole process as when Mom did hers, as I had to take care of Jolie. So I only went on one appointment with him. The rest he went with Mom. This time round it was at Khoo Teck Phuat Hospital, which was very near our place, so everything was very convenient.

After several appointment changes, the surgery was finally set on Tuesday, 10 May 2011. I was supposed to put Jolie with MIL so that I can go to the hospital, but it turns out that Sis-in-law had to go for her check up, so I was stuck with Jo. After much discussion, everybody thinks that I shouldn't go since I had to watch Jolie. Besides, they didn't want Jolie in the hospital even when I suggested that she stayed downstairs in the garden.

It turned out to be the right decision, as the surgery was at 1.30pm, but it took so long, only close to 8pm did the hospital inform my Sis that Dad was out of the recovery room and sent back to his ward.

The next day, Mom offered to watch Jolie while I go visit Dad.



I must say, Dad seemed to take the surgery much better then Mom. He said that last night was horrible due to the pain and he had fever the whole morning, and the staff kept pressuring him to piss and threatened to insert a tube into his penis if he doesn't. Thankfully, he managed to do it by himself. o_o'

When I was there, the fever had subsided, the pain is controlled by morphine, and he looked good!



The next day I managed to visit Dad again after I dropped her off at MIL's place. When I got there I was surprised to see that Dad was able to bend his knee enough to sit upright. What a speedy recovery!



The nurses have also removed the bandages, so with the see-through plaster, we were able to see the knee itself. Cool...



The stitchings looked very neat and the wound seem to be healing very well, but it was still quite swollen. Doctor said that it would take a whole month for the swelling to completely subside!



Dad said that he had to do knee bending exercise everyday, but the physiotherapist commented that Dad was handling the therapy very well due to his daily cycling regime. I guess daily exercise does have it's benefits. :) By the time I left, it was already around 7pm, so I ate dinner at the food court with Mom before taking a taxi back to MIL's place again. Sigh, keep taking taxi, broke already lah...

It was a beautiful Friday, so after dropping Jolie off at playgroup, I took a bus to SAFRA Yishun for a swim. Oh my gosh I was in such bad shape! I was panting away with each lap I swam. But there wasn't time for lazing around, so I quickly washed up and walked across the street to the hospital and visited dad again. He was surprised to see me, but I was even more surprised as he was able to walk quite steadily with the walking stick!




In fact, he was doing so well, the doctor gave him the thumbs up and discharged him the next day. Now, he's at home, going for slow walks everyday. But we had to constantly nag at him to slow down, not to push himself too hard, fearing he'll over exert and hurt himself. In another 3 months he would be able to fix the other knee. If the next knee recovers just as fast as this one, he'll be off to Hong Kong again by the end of the year!

No comments: