Saturday, May 7, 2011

General Election 2011

Today is the day! After weeks of debate, today is finally the day we Singaporeans make a decision. Our polling station was located at the school behind our block, so after breakfast, we walked there.





This was my 2nd time voting, but still, it's very exciting to be part of something so important!



This was the very first time for Cobby, so you can imagine how excited he was.



We decided take turns as we couldn't bring Jolie inside, and I went 1st. I must say, the inside of the school was very nice! Feels kind of nostalgic really, I miss being a child with no worries. :)

Honestly, I was undecided even as I stood with the poll card in my hands. The last time I voted, I was in my 20s. I have just started working and didn't give a damn about politics. This year, thanks to the Internet, the Opposition parties have done a great job in putting doubts in my mind, forcing me to think about what they were so agitated about.

I read about the rallies and discussions almost on a daily basis, and suddenly, my loyalty was wavered. Suddenly, the Opposition parties were no longer crazy old uncles, screaming illogical complains about the government at the MRT stations, and our government doesn't seem as white as we thought they were! Also, I was pleasantly surprised at how vocal and passionate my friends are about politics. I had no idea! People were attending rallies, waving flags, wearing badges and even volunteering for the opposition parties! Such bravery, such conviction!

Personally, I finally understand what the Opposition parties are about now. They may not be the majority in Parliament, but they are necessary in keeping our government in check, a voice for the people. But... I vote like how I do appraisals. Did the ministers in my constituency do what they promised? What do are their plans for the next 5 years? Am I happy, as a citizen? I'm not a very good writer, but I found someone who was able to express exactly how I felt.

So I heaved a sigh, wrote a 'X' on my poll card, dropped it inside the box, and walked out to my waiting family. Well, that's that. While Cobby was voting, I found rabbits!



I think they belong to the school. Poor rabbits, the weather was freaking hot, and even in the shade, I can imagine they must be boiling underneath their thick furs. When we're done, we brought Jolie to Mom's place as usual and headed out for lunch at Carl's Jr. We were so hungry we managed to finish everything, which was rare!



After lunch we watched Fast and Furious 5



SUPER COOL SHOW!!! It's the same director as Tokyo Drift, so if you love it, you will love this show. Full of action and a great cast! I'm a fan of Dwayne Johnson (THE ROCK), so this show was quite a treat.

**stay after the show, there's more!**

After the movie we hung around the place for awhile before we decided to go back early. The weather was so fine that we thought it would be nice to bring Jolie to the open field near Mom's place to go fly kite!



Strangely, we couldn't get our kite to fly. I blame the kite, must be something wrong with it. -_-



The whole field was full of prickly mimosas and their torns were torturing my feet as we walked through it. When I found out that Jolie had blistered her toes, we called it a day and headed by to Mom's home. Sis was here for the weekend, so as usual, Jolie got new toys and gifts.



Mom cooked a sumptuous dinner that night, even got chilli crab! YUMS! What a great way to end GE2011!

No comments: