Monday, May 2, 2011

Potty Training, a messy business

On April 19, I finally took up the courage to start potty training Jolie using panties. I have been procrastinating for so long, but can you blame me? Just thinking of moping up her pee and poop made me want to delay her potty training for another day. But there's no escaping this stage of motherhood, so we started.

The potty was no stranger to Jolie, we tried letting her use the potty a few months back, but it didn't really take flight, as we still stuck with diapers. So this time I let her wear regular cotton panties, so that both she and I would know that she has wet herself.

I really felt like a broken record! All day long, I would keep repeating over, over, over and over again, the same few sentences.

"Jolie, if you need to shee-shee or poop poop, please do it on the pot-pot ok?"
"Jolie, do you need to shee-shee?"
"Jolie! NO! Don't shee-shee on the floor! Shee-shee inside the pot-pot! Shee-shee here(indicating panties or floor) bad! Shee-shee here(indicating potty)!!"

So the next few days were pretty stressful. In the beginning, I think she don't get it. But subsequently, I think she understand, but doesn't know how to control her "flow". Like they said, "when you gotta go, you gotta go!". Why I think she understand? She would actually stand somewhere beyond my line of sight, like behind a wall, and wet herself. And when I find her, she would look so guilty, and compensate by taking off her panties and sitting on her potty. Hmm... a little too late isn't it?

I tried not to scold her, afterall, she's still learning. But I need to let her know that wetting herself is wrong! Sooo... it's more like a stern, nagging. Sigh... so it's kind of a repetitive thing:

- asking her if she needs to pee(she would always say NO)
- her peeing on the floor, once she even pooped in her panties (Ewww...)
- me cleaning up while nagging at her
- repeat

It's not always bad, sometimes I would encourage her by making her seat on the potty, even give her a book to read. You never know, maybe after squatting for awhile, something might come out right? Most of the time, nothing. She would sit for awhile, then say "Nope!" and get up. Sometimes, with a book, she would sit longer, and would produce "results". Haha...

One day, on the 29 April, I was in the kitchen preparing lunch. She was begin very quiet in the living room, so I went to check on her. Surprise surprise! My girl had actually taken off her panties herself, sat on her potty and peed! When I got out, she was actually taking the potty dish out. I was so proud of her as I helped her flush away her pee into the toilet. Just when I thought what great progress it was, she surprised me further a few minutes later by producing me a potty of poop! All by herself!

OH JOY!! I was SO PROUD of her as I kissed and hugged her, and telling her what a good girl she was. Still I didn't think it was enough, so I rewarded her further with yummy cupcakes! But just as I thought that the potty training has completed, she wet herself again that afternoon. Sigh, I guess this stuff takes time, but I'm glad there's improvement.

So this is the situation now. We have our hits and misses. Sometimes she would just take off her panties herself and sit on her potty, but nothing comes out, so I don't know if she needs to go? Or maybe my positive reinforcement tactics was too effective that she hopes to be rewarded? Or she just likes to run around the house half naked. -_-

Anyway, it's really great to potty train your kid, diaper usage has reduced, so soon we won't be needing to buy diapers. So far she's only wearing her panties while at home. She still wears her diapers to her playgroup and while sleeping. I thought we should take a step at a time. :) We've gotten her to wear diapers at my Mom's place too, same, there were hits and misses, but it was a necessary evil.

I wanted to take some photos of her on her potty, but it seemed wrong to post half naked photos of my baby on the web, so I gave up on that. I wonder how we're going to potty train her when we're outdoors?

No comments: