Sunday, May 22, 2011

Visit to the Art Science Museum

I heard the Salvador Dalí's works was showing at the ArtScience Museum, and I have been itching to go, but Jolie has been sick, Mom needs to take care of Dad, and I didn't know if Cobby would be interested in seeing the exhibition, as the entrance fee was a whooping S$30 per adult. But I heard in the radio that you can see all other exhibitions inside with that one entrance fee, so when Mom offered to help me watch Jolie on Saturday, I suggested to Cobby that we go see it.

Turns out that OCBC cards have 20% off, so its S$24.00. Better than nothing... I mean, the admission ticket to the Louvre Museum in Paris only cost about S$17.50!!! (grumble...grumble...) Anyway, was very excited to finally be there. It's not very big, with a exhibition hall at each level.



We started with the Van Gogh Alive - The Exhibition, which was super cool. You don't see the actual work, but they project the paintings onto all the walls of their huge exhibition hall, and it moves according to the wonderful classical music played in the background. I'm not very good at explaining, but it was nothing like I've every seen before. It's like I'm walking inside all his paintings and I just want to just stand in the middle of it. Love it.

I was actually having a cold, no thanks my baby girl, spreading germs to everyone. The museum was sooo cold! We HAD to take a break for a hot drink and get out of the air-con rooms. What a relief to be sitting under the sun, suddenly it feels like we're in Europe again, drinking coffee in the cool weather.



Next we went to the Shipwreck exhibition, nothing much, but some of the stuff they found were quite interesting! From cheapo mass produced, everyday use type of bowls, which were super ugly, to these super delicate GOLD dishes that I so love!!! PRETTY!



Next we headed to my main objective, the Salvador Dalí's exhibition. What a wonderous exhibition! They feature lots of paintings and sketches, but I was really attracted to his sculptures. So beautiful, so strange and yet so much meaning behind them too! I love them!



Ah... finally, the famous melted clocks. Signifying his rejection to the assumption that time is rigid or deterministic.



Look, I look like a super model with legs that go on forever! Hahaha...



I enjoyed the exhibition so much! I have never seen any artist's work quite like his. On one hand, it's so whimsical, interesting and thought provoking. But on the other hand, some of his works were also very dark, disturbing and a little scary. It's almost like a horror movie, you want to see it, but yet you feel disturbed watching it. hmm...

With mixed feelings, we moved on to explore the rest of the museum. There's a small area on the top floor that discuss creativity, and visitors can make their own digital art creations using huge touch screens computers. I thought that it was just for fun, so imagine my surprise later when my "art" was featured on a huge screen at the end of a short film.





After the museum we headed to the shopping centre at Marina Sands and ate a very late lunch. It's a Korean burger restaurant called Kraze Burger. Not bad, but a little expensive. There's even a skating ring made of wax right next to the restaurant! I was itching to try, but it's been SO long since I skated, I was afraid that I would fall flat on my face. Hmm, maybe next time.



There's more to Singapore than just cinemas, so I think it's fun to do something different once in awhile.

No comments: