Friday, April 11, 2008

Driving Test

Left office early today and quickly headed to the driving centre. I was in such a hurry that I only realised something later. I had earlier laminated my provisional driving license (PDL) to prevent it from tearing, but the instructors told me to paste a paper behind as the tester would need to initial on it. I have totally forgotten to do that!

So I quickly hopped off at Jurong East Interchange and bought a pair of scissors and glue. While waiting for the shutter bus to arrive, I started cutting some paper from my note book and gluing it onto my PDL.



Haha... looks weird but no choice lah! Reached the school pretty quickly today, didn’t have to wait for long. I printed my lesson slip and was asked to sit in a special corner with a few others and waited for our warm up driving session.



I hate the waiting part. If I’m pre-occupied it’s not so bad. But when you ask me to just sit there and wait, my nerves really drives me crazy. SO NERVOUS! I swear that if someone was staring at my boobs, they would probably see it pulsating as my heart was pumping like mad in my chest.

Finally got to go for my warm-up session, it went pretty well and I felt so much more relaxed after that. After the warm up we went into another room and waited awhile before the traffic police testers balloted for our test routes and allocate testers.

Oh I got route 4, which was pretty simple and straight forward. Lucky lucky!



Hey, the few TP testers that briefed us were pretty friendly and nice! Maybe they weren’t as bad as everybody say they were! So when my allocated tester called my name, I enthusiastically jumped up and followed him out of the room, expecting him to be as nice as the one that just briefed us.

Boy was I wrong.

Mr Tan C.S. was as cold and aloof as the ice cubes inside my freezer. Worse, when we went to the parking lot, I CAN’T FIND THE CAR! So embarrassing! The stupid car was not labelled, but I was so nervous that I didn’t think of looking at the parking lot number in my hand. Instead, I walked up and down the stretch of cars stupidly and the stupid tester found the car before me and got in before me.

Sigh~ overall; I thought the test went very well! Well, except for this STUPID STUPID car inside the circuit that stopped in front of me and blocked the freaking way for so long that even the tester pressed the horn a few times impatiently!

Anyway, circuit no problems, all ok. I was very conscious of everything that my instructors taught me over the months, so today I was extra careful, extra Kiasu, Kiasee, so, I was slower than usual too. Personally, I thought the drive was super smooth, so as I was approaching the school gates, I was pretty excited! “Yeah it’s ending soon” I thought. So as I was waiting for the red light, at the corner of my eye I saw the tester nodding.

Wait, is he? DOZING OFF???? Oh no, is this a good sign or bad sign? Did I drive too slowly? OR maybe my driving was so smooth and comfortable that even a driving tester can doze off? He woke up (I think) when I moved off and we headed back to the centre.

When I pulled up to the parking area he was in such a hurry to get off that he opened the door before I come to a complete stop! Eh wait lah! He made me so Kan-cheong as we were supposed to follow the tester to a room for evaluation. So I quickly pulled handbrakes, got out of the car so fast that I hit my knee!

Ouch! Wait for me...........!

I ran after him like some mad woman to the evaluation room where other testers were de-briefing their student and explaining why they deducted points. So I waited for him to say something, but again, didn’t happen. Instead, he just pulled up the form the started ticking away silently.

Delay in moving off & insufficient acceleration - 4 points

Speed too slow & change lane abruptly - 6 points

Improper turning - 2 points

Incorrect braking - 2 points

Sweat... Oh no, maybe I didn't do as well as I imagined! Just when I thought that all hope was lost, the tester ticked the most important box of all.

PASSED

My eyes went O_O I passed???

Before I had the chance to react, he passes me the paper, got up and left. I quickly blabbered “Thank you sir! Thank you very much sir!” like some stupid bimbo as he got up and left. Yah he may have attitude problem, but at long as he gives me a pass I wouldn’t care even if he decides to smack me with the test paper! Whahaha! Whoo HOo!

After the initial silent Whoo Hoo! There was alot of admin work to be done, watch video, change my address for the refunds, and apply for licence, its queue after queue after queue!



By the time I’m I left the driving centre for the last time, it was already 4.30pm, quite a few people has already heard the good news, and I was starving! I gave myself a treat and bought my favourite tuna puff from the petrol station.



I strolled to the MRT station, savouring my tuna puff as well as my passing of the driving test. Thinking back on the lessons that I took, taking in the news that I have finally done it! I’m so super happy and proud as the gentle afternoon sun shine on me. Guess this is another milestone in my life which I have just gone through. I ended the day with a good dinner and ice cream with Cobby.



He had a great week too, took home the silver for his IPPT. So we were both relieved and happy as we toast to a good week. Tomorrow I want to practice driving in real life. So look out Singapore, here I come!

No comments: