Monday, November 24, 2008

Long Time No See

The past few days have been quite pleasant, meeting up with, not friends, but close family members that I haven't seen for months!

Sis came back to celebrate bro-in-law's birthday last week, so on Friday, we met up at Weiye's place for a dinner and a get together. Cobby was a little hesitant as he's having exam the next morning, but we went anyway. It was just a simple dinner, chit chat with sis and bro-in-law's side of the family and the playing with the kids. I haven’t seen them since August, so Damian, about 3 years old, was quite amused about my big tummy. When we ask him why is auntie Colene’s tummy so big, he just kept on smiling shyly and didn't reply. So cute...

Sunday met up with another long-time-no-see person, which is my brother, whom I have not seen since his wedding dinner in July! He suddenly called me last Monday and asked me how am I, and suggested that we meet for brunch on Sunday. I wanted to chio Sis along since she was in town, but apparently she and bro-in-law went to Malaysia over the weekend, and she just came back, so she had to give it a pass. Sis was just as surprised that bro initiated to ask me out for brunch.

Sis: "Gor-Gor asked to meet you for brunch? So good?"
Me : "Yah... Probably kanna nagged to do it by Mom... Haha..."
Sis: "Hahaha..."

I know, sounds mean, but I think it's highly possible. Cause the last phone conversation with Mom included her asking me if Bro has contacted me to check on me. I can't lie, because seriously I have not heard from him since his wedding. Which leaded to much grumbling from Mom, saying how can he not contact me, nag nag nag... Next thing I know, Bro was on the phone asking to meet up for brunch. Anyway, it was a very nice brunch. We ate dim sum at Crystal Jade, Causeway Point and we chatted nonstop of his trip to Europe and everything else.

In the evening, Cobby wanted to borrow his sis's calculator, so we planned to drop by Toa Payoh after dinner. Coincidentally, his favourite aunt was at his mom's place too, so his mom suggested that we go for dinner together. His aunt knew about my pregnancy, but she had never seen me since Chinese New Year I think, so she was very happy to see us too.

We ate at the Oasis Taiwan Porridge Restaurant (海京楼) at Toa Payoh Park. It's newly opened and it used to be located at Kallang, and it was quite pleasant really. The food came super fast, which I really like, and they serve Teochew Porridge with sweet potatoes by default. But we chose to go for rice instead. Quite tasty, but Cobby commented that the flavours were quite strong, probably because you were suppose to eat with porridge, which was bland.

I know his aunt was very happy to see me, but I noticed that his mom and aunt shared a common annoying trait as my mummy. They commented that I wasn't as bloated as most pregnant woman and my tummy wasn't very huge, so I replied that I'm watching my diet and try not to overeat. What I meant was that I'm eating 3, full, regular meals instead of eating double like many people do, which is very wrong! But I believe they interpret it as I'm intentionally eating less and depriving my baby of precious nutrients in order to keep slim! Please loh, I'm not so shallow OK?

How did I come up with my suspicions? Well, His mom and his aunt kept nagging me non-stop the whole night to eat, eat, eat more! Ask me to have another serving of rice because I'm eating for two now. Have more fish, more meat, drink more soup... you're eating for two now! I wanted to reply that you are not supposed to eat for two! But I just kept quiet. My mummy, whenever she's on the phone with me, would always say things like,

Did you take your meals...?
You must eat your meals you know...
If you don't eat, your baby doesn’t get to eat...
You must not skip meals...
Even if you don't feel like eating, still must eat a bit...

Grrrr... What gives her the idea that I'm not eating!!?? I try to keep my patience and keep telling her, yes, I'm eating well... Maybe I should take video footage of all my mealtimes and email it to her as prove! Fed up...

Anyway, on a side note, during my check up last week, Dr Kee said that Baby is at a very good weight at 1.5 - 1.6kg, which is slightly above average ok! When I asked him why my tummy is so small as compared to other Mummies, he said that it could be due to various reasons:

1. They were at a later term
2. The Mummies were more petite, so their tummy has less space for baby, thus more protruding.
3. Maybe it wasn't their 1st child. Mummies have firmer bellies during their 1st pregnancy as they have more muscles and firmer skin, thus they can 'hold in' the baby better than those who have more than one kid.

There, just some information for you all. Anyway, I wasn't angry or anything at the Moms and aunt. I know they cared for me immensely, if not they wouldn’t even bother. So I really enjoyed basking in all their attention and love.

No comments: