Thursday, November 6, 2008

Wedding Dinner Dress Woes

Whenever I'm planning on what to wear to a wedding dinner, I would remember what my dad told me many years ago.

It was some family wedding dinner and I chose to wear a bright pink silk halter top with a pencil skirt. I was quite young and was just started to explore dressing up, so I was worried that I was over-dressed. But my dad said that it's perfectly fine to be over-dressed when you are attending a wedding dinner. After all, you are supposed to LOOK like you are going somewhere nice to attend a special occasion!

So with his words, I grew up with the principle that you should always make an effort to make yourself look good when going to an event as special as a wedding dinner. Afterall, how good you look shows how much effort you put in, and that shows respect to the host, because you are saying "I give a damn". I know that the host or the hostess have worked very hard and very long for that single night, so the least I can do is to show respect in my way. :D

Having said that, I'm always shocked and irritated by people who DON'T make an effort to dress to the occasion. Most of the culprits were men of course, and I don't care what they say, but wearing khakis pants, jeans and/or sneakers to a wedding dinner is a big NO NO. Even if it's a very nice and expensive pair of jeans, it's just not right man...

"Yah whatever, just serve the dinner already..."


For me, my aim was always to achieve the "I'm going out to somewhere nice tonight" look, so I prefer a nice dress to a two piece outfit most of the time. Call me old fashioned, but I try to avoid wearing black to wedding dinners. I know many people don't mind, but you never know if the family members do mind.

Sometimes, I really don't have anything else to wear, so I make the occasional exceptions. Hee hee... But 2 colours I absolutely avoid are white and red. I think it's just plain rude, because I sincerely believe that the only people that can wear white or red are the bride and groom, especially WHITE...

They've definitely achieved the "I'm going out to somewhere nice tonight" look!


Anyway, all these talk on wedding dinner dress code was due to the fact that Zinc's wedding dinner was this coming Saturday and I had really nothing new to wear, so I was a little stressed out. The tricky part is, I cannot wear the same outfit to dinners held by people in the same social circle. So basically I cannot wear the same outfit to Zinc's wedding as I did for Char or Qing Ying's wedding, etc. Why?

Well, chances are that I'll be sitting with the same group of people at each event and I don't want people to think that I only have one dress. That's sad. Besides, when looking at photos, it'll be strange to see me wearing the same clothes at different dinners. Lame, I know...

My pregnant figure doesn't help either. Having giant boobies and a bulging tummy really narrows down the choices of clothes that I can fit into. So after walking about the whole of Causeway Point Shopping Centre, I found 2 categories of dresses:

1. Non-Maternity Dresses
Definitely comes in nicer designs, but they were-
Too tight at the chest area, or
Too loose at the chest area (Pregnant women's cleavage - Turn on or turn off?), and/or
Too tight at the tummy area.

2. Maternity Dresses
Either they were:
Too casual, (think Giordano, but maternity range)
Designs super ugly, F U G L Y!
Ugly fit (most of them make you look like a shapeless paper lantern)
Or, all the above...

With the wedding just 3 days away, I cannot give up! So I hopped on the MRT and went to Orchard to continue my search. Thankfully, I found a dress from Le'Range at Isetan Wisma Atrium!! Unfortunately it's black and white... Sigh... I've REALLY tried to find something in colour, but it's SO HARD to find a dress that actually looks decent on me now! So, I'm quite happy about my find!

This dress hunting experience has made me think that maybe I should explore the idea of selling maternity clothes. I thinking of young, hip and figure flattering maternity wear that doesn't burn a bloody hole in your pocket. Haha... very free nowadays right, so can spend time to do a little research!

No comments: