Thursday, February 3, 2011

大年初一 2011

新年快乐! Finally the day has come! I just LOVE Chinese New Year, somehow it's just closer to home, more meaningful than any holidays. And the best way to start CNY? Ang Pao of course! Well, we used to be on the receiving end, now its the other way around. :P I don't think she understand the concept of money yet, so I guess to her, it's another one of those things you politely receive and pass it to Mama. :)



Time to do the ang pao dance!




OK traditionally, as a good daughter in law, we're supposed to go to my Mother-in-law's place 1st. But since they don't start their celebrations until late in the afternoon, MIL agreed that it's ok that we head to my Mom's place 1st.

Time to dress up! We ended up leaving the house quite late as we forgot to iron Jolie's dress and prepare the ang paos the night before!







We haven't even had breakfast yet, so we were so hungry when we got to Mom's place. But never fear! One will NEVER go hungry at my Mom's place. When we got there, there was already freshly fried carrot cake and Shanghai rice cakes. YUMS! My favourite! Lets dig in!



Bro and Sis in law in a "general elections" mood. Very PAP!



Jolie in her "Stevie Wonder" look.





Enjoying her very 1st pineapple tart of the year. So shiok right...



Bro had to go distribute ang paos, so he couldn't stay for mahjong. So after he left, while Jolie my Mom was taking a nap, Cobby and I taught my Dad how to play 钓红点, a card game Cobby's family frequently played. After a late lunch at Macdonald's, we came back and Jolie was already awake. So we bade farewell and headed towards MIL's place.

When we got there, Cobby's cousins and aunts were already there, playing cards!





Jolie's cousin, Qi En was there too! (OK she's actually Cobby's cousin's daughter, so I'll just say she's Jolie's cousin, just to make things easier)



So they continued to play while I just hung around. I've just learned how to play, so I was a little intimidated to play with them.



They played the whole afternoon until it was time for dinner. What a spread!





After dinner the 2 girls found a new game where they would ferry each other. So cute!







As they grow older, they learn how to play with each other better. I'm glad that everyone had a good time. Tomorrow morning, we'll be meeting Bro for mahjong and visiting 2nd Aunt's place. :)

No comments: