Friday, October 10, 2008

A visit to the dentist

We went for our Dentist appointment on Sunday, not expecting anything out of the ordinary really. So I went in first, and the nurses and Dentist were SUPER nice to me loh! I guess that's the privilege of being pregnant I guess. Hahaha...

They keep fussing over me, making sure that I'm comfortable...
"Are you OK? Comfortable? Maybe we'll bring the seat up more so that you'll feel more comfortable!"

Then they keep talking to me like I'm a four year old, going to the Dentist for the first time in my life...
"OK now, what I'm going to do now is called scaling, there would be some noises, but it is normal OK?"

right...

Anyway it feels great to be pampered like a princess (even though it's more like a 4 year-old princess), so, no complains!

So I've got this little hole on the side of my molar for months, but I never got to fix it. See, the stupid filling dropped out, and I think I must have swallowed it. Haha... So that's fixed in 5 minutes.

Then I've got some gum inflammation, making some parts of my gums red and swollen and bleed easily. So they cleaned my mouth up and gave me a fluoride treatment. It's quite interesting; I've never done it before.

They fill up 2 mouth piece with this sour green jelly, and then I have to bite into them like braces for one minute. Then after one minute, I have to make chewing motion to get the green jelly in between my teeth for another minute. Then I have to spit out as much of the jelly as I can and that's it! But I can't eat or drink for 45 minutes, so it's like brushing your teeth but not rinsing your mouth after that. Refreshing but strange...

Funny thing was, while I was having my teeth cleaned in one room, I can hear the Dentist and Cobby chatting away in the other room. I can't hear what they were saying, but its kindda strange isn't it? You seldom hear people chatting on the Dentist chair...

So when I'm done I was excited to tell Cobby about my fluoride treatment, wondering if he had one too. So imagine my surprise when he walked out of the room, pale in the face and with a little lump on his left cheek.

What happened?? "Wisdom." That's all he said. Wisdom? What wisdom? Apparently the Dentist saw that his upper left wisdom tooth was crooked and was starting to rot. So he had no choice but to remove his tooth right there and then. O_O

We definitely did not expect anything other than the usual dental cleaning that morning, so it took me quite awhile before the news sunk into me.

"They took out your tooth!? Oh my gosh they took out your tooth!"

I wasn't mentally prepared for that...

On top of the scary fact that the Dentist pulled out my baby's tooth in the other room while I was getting my teeth cleaned, there's another bad news. Apparently Cobby had such a bad case of tooth grinding that his incisors (the pair of sharp teeth)was being grinded till it's almost flat! So the Dentist recommend that he wear a teeth guard when he sleeps to prevent further grinding...

I know that he grinds his teeth sometimes when he sleeps, but I didn't know that it was so bad! Guess I must be sleeping better to have missed it. The dentist also said that it's most likely stress induced, which makes sense because he's so stressed out about his school work recently...

So poor Cobby had his tooth pulled out that day, and had to fork out an additional $500 for a teeth guard they custom-made for him! And now he has a hole in his mouth...

Well, he's feeling much better now, gonna pick up his teeth guard this coming Sunday. So curious to see what's it like!

No comments: