Friday, December 26, 2008

Happy 3rd ROM Anniversary

17 Dec 2008 was our ROM Anniversary. We didn't really celebrated or do anything special that day, but I didn't mind. I wasn't really in a celebratory mood anyway. But my day was suddenly turned upside down when Cobby suddenly barged into the room with his newspaper, exclaiming, "Eh Dear, your friend's husband passed away!"

HUH? WHO?

He showed me the obituaries section and I immediately saw a familiar face, but it was so unbelievable that I could do nothing but stare at it with my mouth opened. Turned out my old friend's brother in law had passed away a few days ago. He left behind a wife and a little daughter, he was only in his early 30s.

I don't know him personally, I only saw him when I went over to my friend's place for birthday parties. Cobby went on course with him once, as he was an army officer. The news shocked me so much. I heard from my friend that he was ill, but I never imagine that he would just pass away like that.

After the initial shock, I was overwhelmed with tears. I feel so unbelievably sad because there was so much similarity between my little family and theirs. An army officer with a young wife and baby daughter. I can't imagine if Cobby was to pass away, leaving behind me and baby. I think I would just die.

We were always so concerned about how we should be financially covered in case one of us pass away, but that day I realised that money would mean nothing if my Cobby were to leave me alone in the world with our baby girl. So I cried... I cried for my friend's sister who lost the love of her life, I cried for her daughter who had to grow up without her Daddy, basically I just kept crying because I felt that I can feel her pain.

It was our anniversary, but it wasn't filled with gifts or romantic gestures. On our 3rd year anniversary, we renewed our love with a reminder of how much we meant to each other, and how we should always treasure each other oh so dearly. And I think this is more precious than anything that we've given each other.

No comments: