Friday, December 3, 2010

Dinner with old friends

The invitation came quite last minute during Friday afternoon. My old friend Serene suddenly just sms-ed me and asked me if I wanted to meet up for dinner tonight with another old friend, Ting. Of course I want! I haven't meet them for almost a year, but can Cobby handle baby alone tonight?

So I quickly messaged Cobby and was glad to know that he was finally confident of taking care of Jolie by himself. YEAH!

We're meeting up at this little French Bistro at Orchard Road that night, so I thought that I would just drive Cobby's car there. Usually it would only take 30 minutes, unfortunately, the lethal combination of the rain and after work traffic caused me to get stuck in traffic for more than an hour before I finally reached there!

The little Bistro was such a nice little cosy place! Perfect for four ladies to meet up, eat, drink and chit chat! We quickly ordered our food and started to relax into the atmosphere. Of course, having not seen each other for so long, surely must take some photos 1st!





After nibbling on some bread, our entrées came. We ordered this delicious pan-seared foie gras, which was so nutty and buttery! I thank the goose that died for us. :) We also ordered escargot, which was a little salty, and my favourite, french onion soup.



Now let the models show you what's the main course tonight! Here's Ting with her braised chicken. The giant chicken pieces were braised with vegetables and red wine. Very hearty, but the red wine made the chicken gravy a little sour, so it wasn't to my liking.



Serene and Jane ordered the same dish, which was the beef cheek. Sounds weird, but it turned out to be the most heavenly dish, where the meat just melts in your mouth with a rich gravy.



I wanted to order something different, so I got the duck confit, which was OK, nothing extraordinary.



So each of us gave each other a little of their meat, so everybody had three different types of meat on their plate. So we just ate and talked... happy news, sad news, angry news, funny news, etc... When we finished we were so full, but we just kept on nibbling on the creamy whipped potatoes as we continued to talked.



When the waitress cleared our plates, we sort of looked at each other, like, that's it? "No, no, no... We cannot leave without having dessert!" I exclaimed, and I know that was exactly what they were thinking because, even though we all said that we're full, nobody protested as I signaled for the menu and we all gathered around excitedly to decide what to order.

When we saw the creme brulee, we didn't even need to look further. That was it, and it was the right choice... The four of us admired the creme brulee, clinked our spoons, made the 1st crack on the caramelized sugar and dug our spoons into it's creamy goodness. Everyone sighed and made obscene noises as we savoured our 1st bite. It was SO GOOD! So creamy and smooth, sweet and fragrant with real vanilla seeds sprinkled all over the creme like gold dust.

Within minutes the creme was all gone, but still we lingered, digesting our food as we chatted. In fact, we were even taking covert glances at the couple sitting at the next table, who ordered the chocolate souffle that looked absolutely perfect. But we had reached our limit. Haha...

After taking turns to go to their beautifully decorated bathroom, we finally called for the bill and bid farewell. What a fun night, catching up with old friends and enjoying good food. Hopefully it won't be another year before we see each other again. :)

No comments: