Saturday, February 14, 2009

Baby's First Check Up

The appointment was 11 Feb, Friday, 10am. We had everything prepared and all planned out! The baby bag has been packed the night before, we'll feed the baby at 8.30am, finish and leave at 9.15am. We were so confident that I didn't even think we need mom to accompany us! But we learnt a very painful lesson that morning. When it comes to baby, we CANNOT plan the schedule that tight.

Baby must have sensed my anxiousness as it was a COMPLETE struggle when I tried to breastfeed her! She kept wriggling around, unable to latch on properly and was being very frustrated! Me on the other hand, was super stressed!!! I kept glancing at the clock as it ticks away... 8.45am, 9.00am, 9.15am, 9.30am... And still we keep struggling to feed! I was at a lost, baby has never been SO difficult before so I don't understand why is she like that!

I asked Cobby to inform the clinic that we'll be late, but in reality, I really wanted to reschedule the check up and do it another day! But mom call me to relax and not to worry, so by the time we left the house it was about 10.30am! By then I was already super stressed out, so I asked Mom to come with us as I don't think I can do it without her.

Visiting the pediatrician was another form of stress. The nurse said that they needed to help baby draw blood to test for jaundice. I wanted to faint at the words. DRAW BLOOD??!! So we went to the lab and waited for our turn, while I anxiously wonder how on earth can they draw blood from such a small baby! Just when I thought that the situation couldn't get worse, baby decided to up the challenge and pooped big time and started crying. -_-

So now, we have a half fed, cranky crying baby who has just pooped and waiting to be poked and blood drawn. GREAT~ Seconds later the lab officer called our name and we went into the room. Cobby went to get Mom, so it was just me and baby. The stupid staff nurse then punctured baby's heel with a little needle (like those we use to test blood), squeezed out a drop of blood and collected it with a fine straw-like tube. Of course baby stared screaming her head off, she cried SO HARD that no sound came out.

I wanted to strangle the nurse for causing so much distress to my precious baby, but I can only pray that she finish up quickly. Cobby heard the screams and joined me in the room. But we were helpless as we watched the nurse 'torture' our baby! After what seemed like an eternity, she's done and we headed back to the clinic, where we got to change her diapers and see the doctor.

The doctor, Dr Keoy, is such a funny character. The baby may be screaming away, but he is still talking in the same monotonous tone. Blah~blah~blah~blah~ Think he is all numb to screaming kids! Haha... So apart from the slight jaundice, baby's fine, we just need to sun her at home once a day.

I was SO relieved to be home! I was so exhausted that Cobby offered to feed baby for me. It's the first time for him, so he was very happy after that. :)



I was feeling so distressed, but I perked up when I received a card from friends. Baby must have been stressed out that day, so she was quite cranky for the rest of the day. But the adults were even more stressed out than baby! I guess today is only a taste of how life would be like for the next many years.

No comments: