Thursday, February 5, 2009

Princess Jolie's Birthday!

Yeah finally dawn has arrived and I started to worry about my parent's and in-law's arrival. They didn't know that I'm sharing a room with someone yet, so I worried that their early arrival would disturb my roommate! So I had to coordinate their arrival via sms and calls - silently. Sigh, don't understand why people would even consider sharing a room for an event like this!

My operation was 8.30am, but by 8.10am a nurse informed me that she's here to take me to the delivery ward. HAR! SO FAST? I felt that I wasn't prepared mentally, but after some comforting words from my parents, I was wheeled to the delivery ward.



I had to go down alone so that they can prepare me for surgery. Cobby would only join me later at the operating theatre. The nurse wheeled my bed into the delivery ward, parked my bed along the corridor and went off again to 'pick up' another patient. So I just lie there as the nurses greeted each other good mornings, chit chatting about their new year celebrations and went about their businesses.



I felt so nervous lying there, waiting. When the anaesthetist arrived, my stomach flipped! OK, he is super nice loh, kind, constantly giving me reassurance and comforting words of encouragements. But... The epidural HURTS LIKE HELL!!!! To all those people who say that it doesn't hurt - I HATE YOU. (BEEP!) I had to yelled out in pain when he pumped the medication into my spine...man... BUT - seconds later, I can feel sensations (touch) but I can't feel pain! It's amazing!!!



By then Dr Kee has arrived and soon, we started. I can actually feel the blade slicing my tummy, it's like someone drawing a line over the tummy with a fingernail, but no pain. The Cobby walked in and sat next to me. Even with the mask over his face, I can see that he looked quite pale. But I was so happy to see a familiar face in that cold and bare operating theatre! He held my hand as Dr Kee worked on me, Cobby could have easily seen the whole procedure, but he was quite freaked out already, so he didn't look.

After only 5-8mins? Dr Kee shouted that the baby is coming and expect alot of pressure, then there was alot of going on behind the screen! I can feel alot of heavy tugging and pulling, like he is pulling all my insides out!!! Seconds later I can hear a baby crying! Waah~ Waah~ Waah~ I glanced to the side and saw one of the nurses carrying the baby to be cleaned up. Even though I only saw a pair of legs, I was awed, disbelieve. Oh my god, I thought as reality hit me hard. I have a baby! They actually pulled a baby out from my body! I remember myself repeating the words "Oh my god! Oh my god, that's my baby!"



It was even more magical when the nurse placed baby onto my chest. I can't believe that I'm finally holding MY baby in my arms! After nine long months, she has finally come out of my tummy and into my arms.



The anaesthetist helped us take a photo and we held our baby awhile longer before they took her away. Then I was wheeled away to the recovery area awhile before returning back to my room.



Cobby and my parents were SO worried because I was shaking uncontrollably due to the epidural for the next hour or so, but actually, apart from the drowsiness, I felt fine. In fact, the shaking is just more of an inconvenience as it was so bad that I can't even reply a simple sms properly.



I drifted in and out of sleep for awhile before they pushed baby to the room. Of course, everybody was ecstatic, but they had to wait for me to breastfeed her before taking turns to carry her. The lactation expert was there to guide me on how to breastfeed, and soon, baby Jolie was happily 'dining'. So happy~!



Around 3plus I finally got to move to my single room. For an extra of a few hundred bucks, it really was a great big difference. It was almost like small hotel suite with a hospital bed. Haha... At the end of the day, when everybody has gone home, Cobby and I sat there and marveled at how extraordinary that day was. We were totally exhausted, but we also looked forward to what tomorrow brings! Its the beginning of another life stage for us. Today we celebrated Jolie's birthday!

No comments: